New art displayed on electricity distribution cabinets in Helsinki
Students of the Finnish Adult Education Institute carried out a project to paint electricity distribution cabinets in honour of the 100-year anniversary of the Institute.
The unique creations are designed according to the location of the distribution cabinets. For example, the cabinet outside Silkkikutomo displays paintings of silk fabrics and ribbons, and the cabinet outside Circus Helsinki in Suvilahti has a circus theme.
Helen Sähköverkko and the Finnish Adult Education Institute carried out the painting project on electricity distribution cabinets in honour of the 100-year anniversary of the Institute. All nine works of art are located in the vicinity of the various locations of the Finnish Adult Education Institute. The project is co-ordinated by arts teacher Marie-José Dings.
Helen Sähköverkko has implemented several projects of painting electricity distribution cabinets throughout Helsinki. Cabinets have been painted in connection with the Arabia Street Festival for a few years. The Street Gallery produced by the Helsinki Artists’ Association can be viewed in Museokatu, Fleminginkatu and Eerikinkatu. Consisting of historical photographs, the Picture Paths exhibition, implemented in partnership with the Helsinki City Museum, extends over seven districts of Helsinki. Several projects have also been implemented in collaboration with educational establishments. In these, students have been given the opportunity to landscape electricity cabinets in the vicinity of their school.
– In addition to brightening up the street scene, landscaping has proved to have other positive impacts, too. A landscaped cabinet is less likely to be a target for vandalism or bill posting, says Life Cycle Specialist Minna Paavola.
– The implementation of landscaping projects is part of corporate social responsibility. In partnership, we will achieve a more attractive living environment.
Helen Sähköverkko has a total of some 7,500 electricity distribution cabinets throughout the city. The cabinets play a key part in electricity distribution. They distribute electricity to end users and are therefore a link between the electricity network, homes, offices and businesses. The distribution cabinets are placed in prominent locations, and in the case of a power cut they must be accessed quickly in order to restore the power supply.
• Helen Sähköverkko has a total of some 7,500 electricity distribution cabinets throughout the city
• There are nine new distribution cabinets implemented by the Finnish Adult Education Institute
• The location of the distribution cabinets is available on Google.
• The cabinets in Museokatu, Eerikinkatu and Fleminginkatu form a street gallery with a theme of Growth – Degrowth
• Distribution cabinets in the Arabia district have been painted in connection with the Arabia Street Festival
Published: 18.08.2015 15:16