A third of the almost 3,000 solar panels of the Kivikko solar power plant will soon be sold. The panels have only been up for sale for a few days, and they have been much sought after.
Helen is building a solar power plant in the Kivikko district of Helsinki. Once completed, it will be the biggest solar power plant in Finland. Its almost 3,000 panels will fill an area of about one hectare on the roof of the Kivikko ski hall. The output of the solar power plant will exceed 800 kW and its annual production will reach almost 800 megawatt-hours. This corresponds to the annual consumption of almost 400 one-bedroom apartments.
The Kivikko solar panels will be sold as designated panels at a monthly fee of EUR 4.40. The output of one panel is 285 watts. Helen will deduct the value of the electricity generated by the panel from the customer’s electricity bill.
When purchasing a solar panel, customers support renewable energy production. The 1,200 panels of Helen’s solar power plant in Suvilahti were sold out in two days.
Once the solar power plant is completed, customers can monitor solar power production online through a webcam. It is already possible to monitor online the production of Helen’s first – and currently Finland’s largest – solar power plant in Suvilahti.
After commissioning, the Kivikko solar power plant will increase the total solar electricity capacity connected to Finland’s grid by as much as 20 per cent. The share of solar power purchased by the owners of Helen’s designated panels will also be about 30% of the solar power connected to the Finnish grid, and Helen will be Finland’s largest producer of solar electricity.
The construction of the Kivikko solar power plant will start in late summer and it will be ready for production use in autumn 2015.
• The new solar power plant will be located close to Ring I and the Lahti motorway in the Helsinki district of Kivikko, address Savikiekontie 4
• The building is the Kivikko Ski Hall owned by the City of Helsinki
• Estimated annual production almost 800 MWh
• Rated power output over 800 kWh
• Output of one panel 285 W
• After the investment, Helen’s solar power production will exceed 1 megawatt, which is about 30% of the solar power production connected to the Finnish grid.